Saturday, April 17, 2010

Wednesday's Blog


I am writing this late Wednesday night in Siauliai Lithuania, although I know I probably won’t post it until later.

We had a very full day. We woke up early- pasta salad and crepes filled with hot dogs and served with sour cream for breakfast. I have enjoyed many of the food we have been served here, but pasta salad for breakfast every morning is not necessarily my preference.

We loaded the bus to head to the Baltic Sea. We had several stops….Hill of Witches, the place where the birds poop, the sand dunes, a beautiful (and enormous Lagoon) and finally the Baltic Sea.

The Hill of Witches was basically a path through the forest with wooden sculptures, like totem poles almost carved in them witches and kings gnomes and other figures. It was pretty cool. Amanda, Amy and I went with our guides Algirdas and Erika and we had lots of fun being entirely inappropriate.

Next stop was the place where birds poop. I still don’t know what this place was called, but it was basically a look out to a bunch of trees where countless birds have created their nests. It is two main breeds of birds and it is the largest population of these kinds of birds in the whole world. It was interesting and YES, there was LOTS of bird poop.

Then to the Sand dunes- which was really cool. Beautiful- we could see the lagoon that is connected to the Baltic Sea. Although I really thought it was the Baltic Sea because it was water as far as the eye could see. Amanda and I took a jog down the long trail and sat by the dock of the Lagoon and looked out over the water. I know its cliché, but it really down remind you how small you are and reminds me how lucky I am to see some of the world.

Next stop was finally the Baltic Sea. I was tired and had to pee ( I am not much for going outside or porta-potties or the whole in the ground toilets that keep popping up here and there. The sea was fantastic. It looked as though we were the first to be to this particular part of the beach since winter ended. We ran around and played in the sand. I took of my shoes and admired the sea. And Steve…..crazy Steve Hartman came prepared with his bathing suit and stipped down and jumped right in. Incredible. It was freezing- I still don’t know how he did it.

Back to Siauliai and we are all a little tense to perform tomorrow. We are the first performance of the festival and I at least am feeling a little ill-prepared. It will be wonderful I am sure, but right now I am nervous.

Meanwhile I am feeling thankful to be an American. I am thankful for late night restaurants, wifi internet, cereal, movie theatres, and starbucks. I appreciate the chance to observe the culture here, but it reminds me how lucky I am to be American.

Labas= Hello
Acio (achoo) = Thanks
Prasau= Please

1 comment:

Krystal Kelly said...

And America misses you right back. we are having a little cast party tonight which makes me sad that you all wont be here for it But next weekend we will do another. I heard the show went well. and i like your story about steve in the water. oh steve. dear uncensored steve. MISS YA!